Thursday 8 October 2015

47. The One Where I Gave It Marks Out of Ten

8 October 2015

So the challenge is finally over ... and it almost feels like it never happened!  I really can't believe I have already done it and now I'm back to reality.  To be honest, if I had one more toenail and a pair of less dodgy knees, I'd really believe it'd never happened.  Lucky I took so many pictures to prove it huh?!

So here are my overall pros and cons of the event and my impressions ... my brain is still somewhere on the SW Coast Path so I'll keep it to bullet points!
  • Atmosphere:  10/10!  This could not have been a more friendly event!  This was definitely my favorite thing about it.  I was petrified when I turned up and ready to turn back to London, but literally before I even made it to registration I'd met Francis and Penny and was a bit more relaxed.  Everyone was so friendly, from VoTwo's representatives to the other competitors to the spectathletes that came along to support.    
  • Other competitors:  10/10!  As above the other people were lovely.  There was literally every ability, from the nutters running the entire thing to people walking the whole thing in ten hours plus.  No-one ever asked anyone else about times, the only question about performance was ever "How'd you get on today?".  Even the speediest of speedsters took the time to encourage us as they came tootling past, throwing out some happy words.  One even stopped to take a pic of Elaine and me so we could have one together!  Even that first night when people were chatting about events they'd done before there was no question of anyone being all Judgy von Holier Than Thou or playing any one-upmanship kind of games.  This was so nice because at the last triathlon I was at - which was a chuffing SPRINT - I overheard a conversation where two guys were squaring off about the number of Ironmans they'd done.  Tools.  If nothing else, the other competitors would make me want to do another ultra.  
  • Accommodation:  6/10:  The caravans were cool if you had one to yourself or if you were in a couple.  I would have absolutely hated to share it though because the second bedroom is the most miniscule thing I've ever seen and it would have been so uncomfortable trying to sleep in one of those beds - you'd've been all cramped up and squished which I feel would not bode well the next day!  The caravans are also FREEZING - I had brought a hot water bottle for the purposes of aches and pains but I was so grateful for it because the temperature in the caravan was actually slightly colder than outside ... and that was with the heater on!  Having said that they fulfilled their purpose and they had a tiny but nice shower with lots of hot water.  
  • Food:  9/10:  I would give this a 10/10 because it was lovely, but there weren't that many vegetables and I love a vegetable.  Oooh get me all fussy.  Other than that it was absolutely brilliant - and there was LOADS of it, I ate almost my body weight in food each night.  Delish!  Plus the chefs were ADORBS - so nice. 
  • Course:  10/10:  I love the course!  The scenery was absolutely breathtaking - I'd never been to Cornwall before and I don't know what negative things you could say about it.  Literally every five or ten minutes one of us would jerk our right hand out and muster up the energy to grunt "wow" as some new amazing view hove into sight.  I also liked that every day was completely different - the first day had more rolling cliffs and beaches, the second day enormously dramatic hills and the third was the boulder day.  It was so varied, it was fantastic.  
  • CheckPoints:  9/10:  Hmmm so I feel bad saying 9/10 because the staff were so so lovely at the CheckPoints, they had loads of food and it was all really varied, and most importantly they had Marmite sandwiches.  However, the reason they've got 9/10 (apart from the tuna mayo sandwiches which, frankly, are a brave choice on any view) was because they were so so off where they were meant to be on the last day ... and when you're that knackered, having to go an extra 3 or 4 kilometres between CheckPoints really comes close to tipping you over the edge into pure insanity.  It also means that it's impossible to plan your own nutrition and hydration properly because if you think a CheckPoint is only a kilometre away, then you hang on for it and save your own food, plus you work out how much water you need to get you between CheckPoints and if the distance is wrong, you can run out with 30 minutes or more to go.  That massively increases your risks of hitting the wall, and it's a fine line anyway on that last day.  
  • Navigation and maps:  8/10:  The maps are amazing and the briefing in the morning goes through them really thoroughly which is fabulous - even I wasn't that scared of navigating (not, I hasten to add, that I did any at all; Elaine and Bernie and then Elaine and Ben did it all for me).  I'm grading them 8/10 because of the issue on the last day when the CheckPoints are not where they say they are, and there are five damned extra kilometres / three extra miles which are hidden in the map somewhere.  It would be absolutely fine if we were told about these.  It's the lies I can't stand.  THE LIES!!
  • Event staff:  10/10.  Everyone was LOVE.ER.LY.  
  • Swag and bling:  9.5/10.  I will even wear the tshirt (I'm wearing it now, in fact) and normally they go straight in the bin for me.  This is fitted and nice quality and I love the way it looks.  The medal is good and chunky.  Only small gripe about these is that they say 78.6 miles - it was 82 people!!  EIGHTY TWO!  Those extra three miles are the most hard-fought and won miles ever.  Please let us have the benefit of them on our swag.  We deserve them.  
  • Kit:  9.5/10:  I got the hoodie and the puffa jacket and they're both amazing quality and I love them.  Even if they do say 78.6 miles.  Haha!
  • Overall:  9.5/10!  For all the reasons above.  
All I can say is ... if you're thinking about it, please do it!  It's well worth it and I've already been bullied into signing up for the next one (go on then, twist my rubber arm).  You'll hate it and love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment