Wednesday 12 August 2015

10. The One Where I Ran Super Slow

12 August 2015

Today's set was a track set - one I do every week.  It's basically six sets of 800m with three minutes rest in between ... yet another set that sounds pretty anodyne, but nearly kills me in the event!  I'm so lucky - I get to train in Battersea Park at the Millennium Arena which is the most gorgeous setting!





I'd been doing really well at this, managing to drop down my PB to 03.12 on the first rep and then steadily increasing overall to about 03:35.  That was a massive improvement on a few weeks ago, when I had been at a PB of about 03:30 for the first rep, with my times climbing up to about 03:50 for the rest of the reps.

For the last couple of weeks though (ie the week before I went to Ibiza and this week) I have massively, massively struggled!  My fastest split each week was 03:24, which is a full 12 seconds slower than my PB, and the rest of the reps have been right back to where I started.  This is horrific!  I partly put it down to the fact that I've done a speed set the day before each time, which is silly, so I'm going to move that back to a Friday because my muscles feel like someone's injected them with lead.  I also partly put it down to the fact that I've been sleeping so badly lately - before I went to Ibiza I was generally sleeping badly, in Ibiza I only got about three hours a night, and now I'm back I'm sort of still on Ibiza time.  For the next week, therefore, sleep is my massive priority!

I actually only did five reps today because Boris Bike issues meant that I was 15 minutes late and therefore ran out of time.  I am mortified by how much I've lost on this though ... the answer has got to be a) sleep; and b) move that sprint set to after a Wednesday.

It's a bit dispiriting to have lost so much when I have been training hard, but I have to bear in mind that my focus has changed and also that things go up and down.  I'll keep plugging away and hopefully next week will be a different story!


Best week (16 July 2015)
Today (12 August 2015)

1.
03.12

03:24
2.
03:24

03:29
3.
03:26

03:40
4.
03:46 (oops!)

03:43
5.

03:39

03:47
6.

03:34
-

No comments:

Post a Comment