Monday 3 August 2015

5. The One With The Fartlek

3 August 2015

My second run in San Antonio was straight up into the hills on the east side of San Antonio, up towards Santa Agnes.  I was absolutely SHATTERED for this run - on reflection, I had had less than three hours sleep a night for two nights by then, I'd done a long run the day before, and I was running with no fuel (since I was getting up so early, I had no opportunity to eat before I ran).  I can't imagine why it was hard ...!  Luckily I only had to do 8-10 kilometres.

Since I was so shattered, and because it was literally straight up a hill and then straight back down it on an out and back course, I decided to do this run as a fartlek.  This actually worked really well - it meant that I could keep going where if I'd tried to do it straight out, I know I would have ended up walking the whole way.

The views were amazing - I passed some of the quirkiest houses along the way!


I didn't manage to get all the way to the top (again I was constrained by time, because I had to get back to be ready for breakfast by 09:00) but I almost made it, and the views even from that level were absolutely lovely.



 It wasn't my quickest run, with only 8.83km being covered in an hour, but I was pretty pleased with it given how shattered I was to start with and the fact that it was up some serious hills (of course, it was also down some serious hills on the way back, which definitely helped!).  The best bit was that it meant a rest day the next day - wooooooooo!




No comments:

Post a Comment