Wednesday 5 August 2015

6. The One In Ibiza Town

5 August 2015

After a lovely rest day yesterday (which was perfectly timed, having had a good night out at DC10 the night before), I felt totally ready to rock my run to Ibiza Town.  I know the route from Platja d'en Bossa to Ibiza Town really well because I've walked it loads of times before.  I wasn't sure whether to run all the way to Talamanca or to run around inside Ibiza Mediaeval Town, but on the day I decided that it would be better to do Ibiza Town because the route to Talamanca is flat and all on road, whereas the Old Town is (extremely) hilly and has various different surfaces to run on.


I set off at 07:00, to the deep, deep confusion of my friends who were still up from Pacha the night before (we operated on wholly different time zones in Platja d'en Bossa!).  Once again I was running fasting because I hadn't had time for breakfast, so I scarfed an Oreo cookie (delicious and nutritious, uh huh) on my way out which helpfully (if confusingly) someone had hurled onto our balcony the night before (in a sealed packet, to be clear!).  It seemed to work, and I tootled out along the flat beach path between Platja d'en Bossa and Figuretas, the next village along.

I absolutely love the beach path, which then leads into a cliff path which takes you up and over into Ibiza New Town.  From there, you just have to find one of the entrances into the Old Town - you can either use the big gate at the front or one of the more hidden entrances around the side.



I chose to go through the Porto Nuevo, because it was closest, and was immediately faced with some serious steps!


 I managed to hoof it up, although considerably more slowly than the old man already running up them (the shame) and found myself at the top just in time for sunrise.



The top of the Old Town has the most amazing views on all sides, and I took the opportunity for a few pictures before I ran around and about inside the walls.  I basically continued running up and down and around until I hit 11km, knowing that it was 4 kilometres home and that therefore, all up, I'd have done 15km of pretty significant hills, which was what I wanted.


 

I felt really felt good on this run!  I set it down to the oreo cookie.  One of the ravers must've known it was exactly what I needed ... well, either that or getting five hours sleep rather than the two to three hours I'd had every other night was what I needed haha.

In fact, I felt so good that once I got back and had had breakfast, my friend Harri and I decided to walk back over the cliff path, through Ibiza Town, and over to Talamanca.  Platja d'en Bossa to Talamanca is a 13km walk, so there and back added another 26km to my daily tally which was perfect.  Okay, a lot of it was walking, but at least I managed to hit (justabout) the same distance as one of the days of the challenge, so at least I am now aware that I can physically do it!



That night we ended up back in Ibiza Town for supper, and two of my friends had never been into the Mediaeval Town.  Therefore, four of us decided to go back in for a midnight walk ... I might or might not have mentioned the hills before we went in (tee hee).  But it was well worth it - the nighttime views were gorgeous!



No comments:

Post a Comment