Thursday 3 September 2015

23. The One Where It Was Suddenly Winter

2 September 2015

I woke up this morning, threw on my shorts and running vest, and headed straight out the door ... only to gasp in horror and run back for a warm jumper!  It was FREEZING!  It's been raining and miserable for a few days, but today the sun was out and it looked deceptively lovely ... hmmph.

Once I'd put my horrible old (warm) fleece and jacket on, I headed back out to Battersea Park to do some more hill repeats.  I was doing the same set as last week (every 90 seconds, I ran up the hill and down the hill, with whatever remained of my 90 seconds as a rest).  I intended to repeat this as three sets of ten reps with a three minute rest between sets.

In fact, though, I felt really good after the first ten reps and I decided not to bother with the extra rest but to go straight through with the first twenty sets.  I got a bit tired towards the end of the first set but my times were still staying about the same (it was just harder!).  I decided to take the extra three minutes break between the second and third sets, but to be honest, it didn't really make any difference.  I think there is sufficient rest between reps anyway (about 45 seconds on my times) that actually the additional couple of minutes doesn't really make much difference to how you feel overall.  Next week I'm going to try and do four sets all up, but I'll take the rest to try and pace it.

Apart from being ccccccold (and also wet, the ground was soaking), Battersea was as beautiful as ever this morning.  You can't really tell but the sunlight was sending shafts of light through the trees - they were gorgeous!  It definitely makes getting up and running a lot easier when the sun is up.  It's only got to be cooperative for another month or so until the challenge, so crossed fingers it can hold out that long!


No comments:

Post a Comment