Sunday 20 September 2015

35. The One After The Greggs Steak Bake

20 September 2015

So remember how yesterday the Greggs steak bake was totally worth the £1.10?  Well, let me tell you, you ever get steak for £1.10, you will get exactly what you deserve.  Namely, a couple of hours in the loo before you've even started thinking about your day.

Luckily, my serious GI issues had meant that I had skipped my sleep-in, so by the time I'd wobbled out of the bathroom again I was thinking "Well I've still got time for a run before I go to lunch, cracking".  I planned to leave my clothes at work, run around Primrose Hill for a while, and then come back and change at the gym before heading off to Flesh and Buns.

I made it as far as work, very good, and then spent another half hour or so in the loo reflecting on the unwise behaviour in purchasing an end-of-day steak bake.  I thought it might be sensible to go to the gym and do my run on the treadmill - I was only going 10 or 15km anyway - but it was such a nice day again ... and I really really wanted to run outside.  I decided it was worth it, but I'd see how I went when I got up there.


I had thought it would be better to catch the tube up to Primrose Hill because the last time I tried to run up to it I go completely stuck behind people walking slowly, plus I had to cross approximately 450 roads, so running was ... not running.  I caught the tube up, therefore, and started fartleking (again, I know) up the hill from the station to Primrose Hill itself.  It's only about a kilometre, so it was a good warm-up.  


It turns out that eleven times around Primrose Hill makes about 13km.  I really did want to do 15km if I could, because yesterday wasn't the full 42km so I thought it would be nice to get a few more km into my legs (and more importantly, my head, since my head is where success or failure will ultimately lie).

I managed to do it but I was doing the usual walk uphill/run on the flat and downhill tactic.  I was pretty tired but otherwise not suffering too badly.  Again the weather probably helped!  Plus there's a lot to look at in Primrose Hill, loads seem to be going on!  Babies waving, dogs playing, kids playing football ... it's all very perfect.  There are also absolutely fabulous views over London and since I was there quite early (about 09:00) the light was lovely.

Once I'd ticked off about 14km I headed back down to the station for a total of 15.66km with about 266m of gain - not quite the thousand metres of gain or so I've been doing!  But it's worth getting the hills into my legs I think and not make myself too tired with only eleven days to go (ELEVEN DAYS TO GOOOOOO).  In addition I found the squiggly line I made on the map most pleasing!

 







No comments:

Post a Comment