Monday 21 September 2015

36. The One Where Russell Howard Kept Me Entertained

21 September 2015

With only eleven days to go (gasp) it's time to start thinking properly about tapering.  This weekend was the start of the taper, doing two shorter runs, and this week it's all about doing longer but low-effort runs.  Therefore, my first run of the week was a 90-minute sub-130 heart-rate run, as opposed to the 45 minute versions I normally do.

I was a bit worried I'd be bored on this run rather than anything else.  Fortunately, however, BBC iPlayer has not 1, not 2, but nineteen back episodes of Russell Howard's Good News, going back as far as 2011.  I absolutely love Russell Howard's Good News, so three episodes of that on iPlayer were perfect as I pounded out the miles on the treadmill.

The run itself was pretty uneventful; not much to report!  My heart rate did very well (as did my Garmin which was actually working for once) and stayed about 128/129 throughout.  I was watching it carefully and a couple of times (maybe three times in the whole run) it tipped up to 131 but a couple of deep slow breaths and it was back down at 128.  I was pretty happy with it actually, especially as yesterday i can't say my nutrition was exactly good ... My friend Romy booked the brunch deal for four of us at Flesh and Buns and it was A.MAZ.ING.  Unlimited starters, which I thought would be piddly lil things and not really substantial, plus one flesh and bun which in my head was like a char sui bun, plus s'mores for pudding.  How wrong could I have been ... the starters were enormous and so delicious that I was full before the mains even came out.  Then this happened ...


Far from a char sui bun, an entire PLATE of crispy piglet!  Just for me!  That's Harri's aubergine on the left, Romy's duck on the righ, and Tom's Wagyu beef at the back ... nomnomnomnomnomnomnom!  Plus unlimited prosecco or wine ... let's just say that supper was a non-event haha!  It was worth it - DE.LIC.IOUS!


No comments:

Post a Comment