Tuesday 29 September 2015

41. The One Where Nature Wished Me Good Luck

29 September 2015

The weather was AMAZING this morning ... It's much darker in the mornings now and sunrise hit this morning just as I pottered over the bridge from Chelsea to Battersea Park, where I was training today.  Obviously the sky wasn't content with just one night of the blood-red supermoon, so it gave me this to look at as I crossed over the river:


I like to think the moon just stayed out a bit later and shone a bit brighter today, and clubbed together with the river and the sky to wish me good luck ... especially since it turns out that today was my last training run!!!!  I hadn't realised this - I had thought I'd do a short (5km) very easy run tomorrow, but George advised me to do some yoga instead.  His direction is my command (because that way if it all goes wrong it's his fault, not mine), so I'll look up a nice yin session on YouTube to do tomorrow.  He also advised me to get busy with the foam roller - ugh - on my quads to try and loosen them up and thus help the sketchy knee cope a bit better (although it's doing really rather well at the moment, not bad at all!).

We mostly did drills today, interspersed with 200m and 400m to the metronome.  I'd never used the metronome before and it's a pesky little thing isn't it?!  Whilst I've done loads of cadence work in the past, it's always been counting the number of steps and I find that much easier because when you're using the metronome God forbid that you should fall out of the exact rhythm it demands.  When you're counting yourself, you might do exactly the same number of steps as you would with a metronome, but it gives you the freedom to be human and have one slightly longer step now and again (for example if I take a deep breath in, my stride pauses slightly, but I'll catch it up on the next step).  With the metronome, once you're out of sync it takes an irritatingly long time and a lot of concentration to fall back into it, and you're not in rhythm and it's just ANNOYING.  I was getting much better at it by the end but I'm not 100% convinced it was very helpful in real-world running, since my cadence is probably the one and only thing I don't really need to work on massively since I run fairly naturally at a 95 one-foot/190 two-foot beat.  Also, believe me, I will not be carrying a metronome around with me at any point in the near future while I'm running ... I look enough like a loser when I'm running without any help thanks!

I packed up my suitcase to go last night because I'm out tonight (I'm so good at not being social and getting an early night ... not ...!) so I wanted to make sure that I had everything on my list before tomorrow, when I can pick up any last bits and pieces.  Doing the packing made it feel sooooo real!  I'm so scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea and I think it's probably for the best that Debbie, who sent me the link to it in the first place, moved to San Francisco a few weeks ago (she's not stupid).  I'm sure it will be fine ... FINE ...


No comments:

Post a Comment