Sunday 27 September 2015

40. The One Where I Fell Into A Tiny Gap In The Time/Space Continuum

27 September 2015

I am so confused by my run today!  Initially I was going to go to Richmond again, but I thought since I was only going 10km or so I might as well try somewhere new.  I thought it might be nice to run along the Thames Path, but I wasn't sure where it went exactly because I know it comes up and off the river quite a bit around Fulham.  Therefore, I got onto MapMyRun last night and created a course which went from my place down to the river, along the river and over Putney Bridge and back.  It was 10.32km which I thought was perfect.


I'd left my car on the street yesterday, thinking I'd be off to Richmond Park this morning, so I drove it back to its designated parking spot on my way to run.  That cut off about 700m off my run, but I wasn't really massively bothered - all I was really worried about was being on my feet for an hour or so and I knew I still would be about that.  I set off, and ran down to the Thames.  It was looking absolutely gorgeous in that lovely soft morning light which was bouncing off the river and reflecting off the trees and buildings lining the water.  I was so busy appreciating this that I hit Bishops Park way sooner than I thought I would, and I pootled through and over Putney Bridge.  Once I got to the other side of it, it was 4.51km which I thought was exactly right - I was going back the same way, so I'd have about 9km in total to my car, then 700m back to my place for just under 10km all up.  Right?


Errrrrmmmm .... no.  Even though I ran back over the bridge, back through the park, back along the Thames Path, and back down the road to my car, according to both my Garmin and MapMyRun, it was 7.23km - or only 2.72km back along exactly the same course that had taken me 4.51km on the way out.  WHAT?!  How is this possible?!  If anything I went a slightly longer way back because I had to do a double-back around Fulham Palace slightly because I went the wrong way.  I can't even put it down to my Garmin having a malfunction because both that and MapMyRun agreed - probably for the first time ever - on both the distance on the way out and on the way back.  I am so confused as to what happened but I'm going to put it down to a tiny rip in the time/space continuum.  It's the only answer to this problem.  At least both my Garmin and MapMyRun agreed that the distance from my car to my house was 710m (which is right; I've done that trip millions of times since my car's lived up there for the last four years).  Once I'd gone round to the front of my block I made it to 8.01km which was fine - I'm sure the missing 2km are not going to make a massive difference in the grand scheme of things!!

It's so strange to think that this time next week it's all going to be over.  SCARY!!!!!!!!!!  I have to work out now what to do next week - I'm not sure to be honest.  George has been away but gets back tonight so I think I'll have to quiz him!

No comments:

Post a Comment